Saturday, January 24, 2009

Firehouse Favorite Casserole, suggested by Amy

I got this from the Grandma's Frozen Noodles website and package. I made some modifications which are at the bottom. I don't know if you can get these all over the country, but if you can (and you aren't allergic to eggs and stuff) get them. They are fab.

This recipe was submitted by Ron Moeder many years ago who was President of the Denver Fire Fighters Union Local 858 at that time. We have divided the recipe in two as this makes a really large casserole. If you use the Firehouse size, it does freeze well.

Family Size
Firehouse Size
½ lb hamburger 1
1 lb Italian sausage 2
1 cup diced green peppers 2
1 cup diced celery 2
1 medium onion, diced l large
4 oz sliced mushrooms 8 oz
1 16 oz pkg GRANDMA’S WideEgg Noodles, prepared and drained 2
1 28 oz can tomatoes 2
8 oz can tomato soup 1
½ grated Longhorn cheese 1 lb
Crumble and brown hamburger and sausage in large pan, drain fat. Sautee green pepper, celery, onion and mushrooms until tender. Combine all ingredients except cheese in one or two large casserole dishes. Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake another 10 minutes until cheese melts.

*I usually don't made this with the sausage, just the ground beef. I also used Spicy V8 instead of tomato soup. The recipe doesn't call for any seasoning, so I usually throw in some salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme to taste. I'll probably use real garlic next time and saute it with the veggies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Finally!!! I first made this recipe years ago when we moved to the Denver metro area… it’s no longer on the package of noodles or on their website. I’m sooooo happy to find it again.
I agree with adding some spices, and garlic is a must! Thanks Amy!!!!