Monday, March 19, 2007

Pizza dough from Allison

This makes enough for two pizzas that fit on baking sheets, although people's tastes in thickness and other things vary, so see what it does for you. Feel free to alter it -- I make it a bit differently every time and pizzas seem to taste completely different when I leave dough and stuff for the sitter, I don't know why. For sauce I just open an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, pour it in a small skillet, dump some oregano onto it and let it bubble until it looks like pizza sauce to me.

Pizza Dough

2 1/4 tsp yeast (or one packet -- I just buy my yeast in a jar)
1 1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups + of all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour (the best, in my opinion, is the King Arthur white whole wheat if you can get it....that stuff rocks! I don't have a reliable source because I'm too lazy to mail-order it.)
2 Tbsp + of olive oil

Put the yeast and sugar together in the warm water, stir and wait for it to "bloom."

Mix the rest of the ingredients in (if it's too wet, add more AP flour, not more WW -- I find that if I go above 50% WW it messes with the texture too much for my taste) and knead for about 10 minutes. At this point I spray with canola oil, put a moist dish towel over the large bowl it's going to rise in, and put the dough somewhere warm for at least an hour. My favorite spot is in the microwave with the door ajar....Then I split in half and spread it into pizza rounds on baking sheets that have been dusted with cornmeal.

I cook my pizzas for about 9 minutes at 475 degrees F.

No comments: