Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cheesesteak-French Dip Hybrid, an idea from Kris

The only problem is that I always end up with a lot of leftover meat (I think because I slice it so thin, it always seems like there is a lot more meat than if the slices are thicker).

Anyhow, tonight I made up a cross between philly cheesesteak (which I've never had, just seen on TV) and a French dip sandwich. I took the leftover meat from last night and sliced the thin slices into strips. I then simmered the meat in some beef broth with worcestershire sauce, black pepper and garlic and simmered it for a good 45 minutes (to get the meat back to the 'soft' stage instead of the 'overcooked' stage). I sauteed some onions and green peppers.

Bought a couple loaves of baguette bread, sliced them, buttered them (a little) and toasted them in the oven until crispy. I then took the meat out of the meat juice (?) and put on the bread, topped with provolone cheese, the onions and peppers, a splash of the meat juice and back in the oven to broil for about 3 minutes. I served them along side a little ramekin of the meat juice for dipping. OMG ya'll. They were sooooooo good!

(Note from Dot--this is a "second gen recipe" using Kris' fajita recipe.)

No comments: