Sunday, March 21, 2010

Boarding House Biscuits, suggested by Michelle

The recipe is from Art Smith:

Boarding House Biscuits

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup cake flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-inch cubes
* 3/4 cup buttermilk , as needed

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.

Whisk the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly with a few pea-size pieces of butter. Stir in enough of the buttermilk to make a soft, sticky dough.

Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Quickly knead the dough just until it comes together; do not overknead. Pat or roll out the dough until it is 1/2-inch thick. Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Gather up the scraps, knead briefly, and repeat until all the dough has been used.

Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes.


Here are my reflections:

I get about 6 biscuits. Total.

^In spite of that... don't scrimp on the height!!! The height produces layers. Mmmmmm! Layers!

I did not have buttermilk when Betsy and Sarah were here or tonight when I made them, so I used 3/4 c skim milk + 3/4 tblsp apple cider vinegar (dump the latter into the former and let it get all disgusting while you whisk the dry ingredients together)

I bake for 14 mins, but I have a hot oven.

ETA: This is the only biscuit recipe that I've ever gotten to work for me.

No comments: