Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Two Takes on Sloppy Joes, from Carolyn

Tintin requested my sloppy joe recipe. I will post 2 versions, the one my mom always made (and I did prior to this attempt), and the one I made yesterday. I never measure anything, so I'm sorry that I can't be more precise.

Mom's recipe

1 lb ground beef
ketchup
Worcestershire sauce
garlic powder
onion powder

Brown and drain beef and return to heat. Add enough ketchup until it is saucy and a few (?) t of Worcestershire sauce. Add garlic and onion to taste. Serve on hamburger buns with lots of napkins.


My new recipe
1/2 medium onion, diced
oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 T ketchup
1 t vinegar
2-3 t (?) Worcestershire sauce
garlic powder
pepper

Add oil to skillet and saute onion until translucent. Remove from pan. Brown and drain turkey with 1 t of garlic powder and return to heat. Add onion. Mix in tomato sauce, ketchup, vinegar, and worcestershire sauce. Add garlic and pepper to taste. Serve on hamburger buns with lots of napkins.

No comments: