Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Empanada Frito Casserole, from Rachael

Tonight is my favorite casserole (better not make too many, I might drive Dh away). It's basically my empanada filling covered in cheese and fritos.

I don't measure anything anymore and the ingredients are contingent upon what happens to be in my fridge when I prepare it but here is a rough outline:

1 pound ground sirloin

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 8oz can tomato sauce

1 15 ounce can black beans (sometimes pinto), drained

1 can diced tomatoes, whatever the normal size is, 12 oz I think

Cumin to taste

Chili powder to taste

1 medium onion, chopped

Pickled Jalapenos, as many as you like, chopped

Cilantro, to taste and chopped I use about 1/3 cup.

Garlic, to tase, I use quite a bit

Fritos

Monteray Jack or Cheddar or absolutely any package of shredded cheese

Brown ground sirloin in olive oil in large, deep pot, I use a stock pot. As beef is browning throw in garlic, onion, jalapenos. When beef is cooked through add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, cilantro and beans. Season with cumin and chili powder. Simmer about 5 minutes, until heated through.

Preheat broiler to low.

Transfer beef mixture to casserole pan, top with half of the cheese, top with a layer of fritos, add remaining cheese and sprinkle with more chopped cilantro.

Broil until cheese is bubbly.

Dh likes to have salsa on his.

No comments: