Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Steak Marinade, from JulieZ

Okay, here's my marinade ... it's so damn good, I should bottle it, but it wouldn't be the same. Sorry no real measurements, I just eyeball it.

I get the steaks all laying in a shallow dish. Then I sprinkle on a light dusting of cumin, both sides, then I really cover/layer one side with onion powder and garlic powder (I get the really good garlic granules from the bulk bin), I flip over to coat both sides.

I'm usually into using fresh onion and garlic, but this is one instance where the dry works well (as long as it hasn't been sitting on the shelf for years ).

I poke holes in the steak with a fork so the marinade sinks in; I know some people are against this since it could let the juices drain, but I've never had a problem with them drying out.

Let's see, then I add some dried red chili pepper flakes, then some dried or fresh cilantro. I sprinkle on some Tabasco sauce, not too much, can make it have that sour taste.

Then I pour on some lite-sodium soy sauce and then some beer (amber or darker). Not too much liquid, you don't want to drown it (DH did this, so now he lets me add the liquid). Just enough to pool some liquid under/around the steaks. Then I take extra care to make little divots/craters on top that I spoon on marinade. Marinate for 1-4+ hours. Yummmmy!

The soy sauce and beer help the marinade seep in and, gawd, what's that word ... my daughter starts being loud and naughty everytime I get on the computer and I CAN'T think ... oh, tenderize.

You can leave out the cilantro and it still tastes good. I can't seem to find the dried cilantro anymore at the bulk bins (of course, it was something I liked, so they discontinued it) and I don't always have fresh on hand.

No comments: