Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mango Chutney, from Carrie

Mango Chutney

In a small sauce pan I combine:

1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c water
1/4 apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger (I use the jarred stuff)
6 cardamom pods, whole (you'll probably have to go buy these but a whole jar will last you a long time so it's a good investment)
1 cinnamon stick

Bring all to a boil, then add:

1 large ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks

Simmer lightly until mango softens and becomes more clear... about 20 minutes. I like to gently mash the mango up with a fork as it simmers because it cooks better and I don't like large chunks.

Season with salt to taste and pick out the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods.

This will keep covered in the fridge for two weeks.

I like it especially served with a pork tenderloin that I've baked in the oven, but it's also good with chicken and white fish.... or served cold over vanilla ice cream or over cream cheese with crackers.

No comments: