Saturday, October 11, 2008

Suggested by Kris - Strawberry Gelato

Oh dudes.

I made the yummiest strawberry gelato. I got it from the cooking light compilation recipe book I have.

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups lowfat buttermilk
4 pints fresh strawberries

Put water and sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil until the sugar is completely dissolved, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Place strawberries in blender and puree. Pour buttermilk into large container, add strawberry puree and sugarwater. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer directions.

This was so yummy. Each 1/2 cup has 100 calories and 0.8g fat. The strawberries we used were incredibly delicious. I think that I would reduce the amount of water/sugar to maybe 1 cup water and 1.5 cup sugar, because it was a bit too sweet. I also added about 1 tsp vanilla extract to the mixture. Instead of pureeing all of the strawberries, I kept about 8 out and chopped into pieces to have going through the gelato. It was really really yummy and refreshing!

No comments: