Monday, January 10, 2011
Chipotle Gouda Mac & Cheese, from Shelli
* Kosher salt
* 1 pound cavatappi or elbow macaroni
* 1 quart milk
* 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 12 ounces chipotle gouda, grated (4 cups) eta: I used 8 ounce and it was fine!
* 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, grated (2 cups)
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Add salt to large pot of boiling water. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. In a large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gouda, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked pasta and stir well. Place the mixture in 6 to 8 individual gratin dishes, or large casserole dish.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine with panko, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.