We have sweet italian sausage to put on them.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; cool. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, 1 egg, butter, sugar, salt, 1 egg and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in onion and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let stand for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 32 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Beat cold water and remaining egg; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle half with sesame seeds and half with poppy seeds. Bake at 350 degrees F for 16-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.