Saturday, June 30, 2007

Suggested by Kris - Raspberry Slushies inspired by Cooking Light

I'm trying my hand at making fruit slushy ice today. I had 2 cartons of fresh raspberries that were going to go bad if I didn't use them. I found a recipe in this month's edition of Cooking Light (thanks Heather!) for blackberry slushy ice, and I just substituted raspberries. I used all my fresh and half a bag of frozen to equal the 1 pound. If this works out well, I'll try another batch with splenda, just to decrease the sugar we are consuming. If I like it, then I'll make different fruit slushy ice and serve it with frozen margaritas. Then, island grill night at my house will have jerk chicken, limey-coconut rice and fresh fruit slushy margaritas! My house will be popular....

Here's the recipe:

1.5 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 lb raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 tsp grated fresh lemon rind
1 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp rose water (I omitted this)

Mix water and sugar in saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Pour into blender with remaining ingredients and puree. Pour through strainer into glass baking dish. Place in freezer and stir with a fork every 45 minutes until frozen. After about 3 hours, fluff with fork and serve. Will keep in freezer for 3 days.

No comments: